The Southwood Neighborhood Association Williamson Creek Adopters, an Adopt-a-Creek Group, will meet at the curb at the Emerald Wood Community Garden/Tom Donovan Nature Trail at Williamson Creek Central Greenbelt at 611 Emerald Wood Drive and walk down to Williamson Creek together while socially distanced and masked. We will be working to help clean up the section of the creek we adopted to honor the legacy and continue the stewardship of Tom Donovan. Please join us. Bring your trash pick up tools, trash bags, and work gloves. Please register here via the GivePulse website, so we know who to expect and so we can show our neighborhood’s involvement in honoring Tom. We may have some future events to girdle invasive ligustrums, but this work day will focus on trash removal from Williamson Creek.
Keep Austin Beautiful posted FAQ:
Is this an in-person event?
This is a fully remote event so we’ll be making Austin more beautiful together while apart.
How long is this event?
We’re asking everyone to volunteer anytime between 9-11 am every second Saturday of the month.
Do you have information on cleaning litter in a COVID environment?
We do! When picking up litter, Keep Austin Beautiful recommends participants do so responsibly and at their comfort level. Your cleanup group should include only members of your household. Please wear a face mask and use disposable gloves. While picking up litter, be sure to maintain at least 6 feet of distance from others.
When you finish collecting litter, please dispose of any single-use face masks and disposable gloves properly by placing them into your trash bag. Make sure your trash bag is securely tied to protect sanitation workers. After placing the trash bag into your trash cart, immediately wash your hands with soap and water. For more safety information, please read the documents below.
- Litter Cleanup in a COVID-19 Environment (full document) https://keepaustinbeautiful.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Litter-Cleanup-in-a-COVID-19-Environment_Keep-Austin-Beautiful.pdf
- Guidance for Individual Cleanups https://keepaustinbeautiful.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/GUIDANCE-FOR-INDIVIDUAL-CLEANUPS-NEW.pdf
- Guidance on PPE and Cleanups (one page) https://keepaustinbeautiful.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Keep-Austin-Beautiful-Guidance-for-Cleanups-in-COVID-19-Environment_PPE-and-Cleanups.pdf
- Guidance on Needle Safety at Cleanups (one page) https://keepaustinbeautiful.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Needles-Safety-Guidelines.pdf
For more information on your waste pickup day, visit Austin Resource Recovery’s My Schedule page and download their app. https://austintexas.gov/page/my-collection-schedule
Where do we discard our trash after the cleanup?
We ask that volunteers take the bags home to their own personal trashcans or drop off to an approved location.
How can we share photos?
We love seeing photos! Before and after pics are the best. Please use the hashtags #KeepAustinBeautiful and #LWYLKAB and tag us on social media – @KeepAustinBeautiful(Facebook and Instagram) and @KAB_Austin (Twitter). Don’t have social media? Feel free to email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to seeing y’all!
- Have you been exposed to someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19? See the CDC’s risk assessment guidance.
- Do you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19? Symptoms can include a cough or shortness of breath or at least two of the following: Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, New loss of taste or smell. See the CDC’s symptom information.